Thursday, May 6, 2010

Interesting/Special


There are many interesting things about me. One is, I married my high school sweetheart, who was also a longtime family friend, Ann Margaret Castor. We had two lovely children, John David and Carolyn Ann, and two grandchildren. My wife and I are still married to this day.


Another one was when I took off from Cape Canaveral, Florida in the Friendship 7 on February 20, 1962. It was then I became the first American to orbit the Earth during the Mercury-Atlas 6 mission. I was the oldest of the seven Mercury astronauts at only forty. My experiences with space traveling weren't over quite yet.


One of my favorite experiences (but scariest) was during this Mercury-Atlas 6 mission when my instruments and the ship were giving us problems while in space. Mission control let me know right before re-entry into Earth's atmosphere that I had to fly the capsule in on my own because of an alarm indicating a serious problem with the ship. I made it safely to earth only to find out later it was a false alarm!



No comments:

Post a Comment